Paleokastritsa (Palaiokastritsa), Corfu
The village of Paleokastritsa (Palaiokastritsa) in the northwest of Corfu is famous for its unique scenic beauty. Nestled in the greenery of Corfiot olive groves, the village stretches along the turquoise-blue sea. Paleokastritsa (Palaiokastritsa) has several bays and beaches with crystal-clear water and caves. At the end of the village of Paleokastritsa (Palaiokastritsa) on a small rocky peninsula lies the historic monastery of Panagia Theotokou with its old monastery church and the charming monastery garden with magnificent views to the sea and to the surrounding bizarre rock formations.
Paleokastritsa (Palaiokastritsa) is a diversified place on Corfu with the typical Greek coastal flair, many taverns, boutiques and shopping facilities. Some of the hotels also offer entertainment events on their terraces, most of which are accessible to all visitors, with impressive views and their Greek evenings with Corfiot live music and Greek dances. The sickle-shaped beaches are partly sandy, partly pebble beaches and almost always there is the possibility to have a drink or a snack nearby. As in many places in Corfu, Paleokastritsa (Palaiokastritsa) offers various water sports facilities.
Particularly charming are also a bathing tour with the taxi boat from Paleokastritsa (Palaiokastritsa) to one of the adjacent bays or beaches (which cannot be reached from the shore), or a cave trip or an excursion with the glass-bottom boat to explore the fascinating underwater world.
In Paleokastritsa (Palaiokastritsa) several sandy beaches, pebble beaches and rocky bays invite you to swim. In addition, you can swim at the beautiful white pebble beaches "Kastelli" and "Mikro Kastelli", which are situated at the foot of the steep cliffs rising several hundred metres above sea level below Krini and Angelokastro, and which can only be reached by small motorboats that can be hired in Paleokastritsa (Palaiokastritsa) or in Agios Georgios Pagon (Agios Georgios Pagi) (no boat licence required) and can only be reached via the waterway (if you are not an extreme climber).
A magical attraction for young and old alike is the La Grotta Bar, with its location nestled in mighty cliffs overlooking the sea. Here you can also jump into the water at any time for a little cooling or board a boat for a short trip.
Paleokastritsa (Palaiokastritsa) is connected to the city of Corfu by a regular bus line throughout the day, so that tourists do not have to rent a car. Hiking tours through the shady olive groves are offered to the famous viewpoint Bella Vista near the village of Lakones in Corfu. Here you can enjoy one of the most grandiose views of Europe in taverns and cafés, which stick to the rock like eagle's nest, and at the same time savour local food and drinks.
Other attractions for hikers are the nearby restored Angelokastro Castle and the village of Makrades, famous for its shops with their rich traditional handicrafts, with the beautiful viewpoint Prokima (rock gate). From Prokima, after passing through the rock gate, you have a magnificent view of the bay of Agios Georgios Pagon (Pagi), the diapontic islands and over the whole of northern Corfu to the mountains of Albania.
The municipality of Paleokastritsa (Palaiokastritsa) offers various cultural events throughout the summer, such as the arrival of Ulysses on Corfu, staged in the main bay, or theatre evenings in the open-air theatre at the marina, named after the deceased actor Nikos Kourkoulos, who came from the neighbouring village of Makrades. Rental cars, motorbikes or scooters can be rented by guests from the apartments, studios, holiday houses and villas in Paleokastritsa (Palaiokastritsa) at various locations.
Distances from the bays of Paleokastritsa (Palaiokastritsa) to Corfu city, the airport and the ferry port of Corfu
Paleokastritsa (Palaiokastritsa) is about 23 km from Corfu city (Kerkyra) with its ferry port. The distance from the international airport of Corfu (CFU) to Paleokastritsa (Palaiokastritsa), located 3 km south of the island's capital Kerkyra, is about 25 km. Just like in Paleokastritsa (Palaiokastritsa) you can rent a car at the airport. Numerous taxis offer transfers from the airport. The one-way taxi ride costs about 35 EUR. For more information about transfer options, see Airport Transfer Corfu.
Activities and sports in Paleokastritsa (Palaiokastritsa) in Corfu
- Visit to the historic monastery of Panagia Theotokou (Monastery of Paleokastritsa)
- Boat trips (e. g. glass bottom boat trip, cave trip)
- Boat hire
- Taxiboat transfer to secluded beaches that can only be reached by boat
- Souvenir shops
- Diving / Diving Courses (Diving School)
- Corfu Aquarium
- Hiking (Bella Vista about 1 hour, Angelokastro about 1.5 hours, Makrades about 1.5 hours)
- Theatre and music events
- Pool billard
- Hiking - We have already put together the following hiking tours for Makrades for you. It is best to install the komoot App on your smartphone (komoot App (Android / Google Play Store) or komoot App (App Store for iOS devices)), then you can easily follow the tours:
- Vistonas - Lakones - Red Church - Mountaintop Mount Arakli - Vistonas - Makrades - Vistonas round trip (HIGHLIGHT!)
- Vistonas - Lakones - Red Church - Mountaintop Mount Arakli - Vistonas Round trip
- Vistonas - Vatonies - Alimmatades - Mount Arakli - Vistonas Round trip
- Vistonas - Lakones - Alimmatades - Mountaintop Mount Arakli - Viewpoint above Lakones - Vistonas round trip
- Vistonas - Kouramilia - Kodraka - Prokima - Krini - Angelokastro - Vistonas round trip
- Makrades - Kouramilia - Prokima - Krini - Angelokastro - Krini - Makrades Round trip
- Makrades - Vistonas - Lakones - Red Church - Vistonas - Makrades Round trip
- Makrades - Kouramilia - Chelidoni - Prokima - Makrades Round trip
- Makrades - Krini - Angelokastro - Agia Paraskevi - Vistonas - Prokima - Makrades Round trip
- Makrades - Kodraka - Kouramilia - Prokima - Makrades Round trip
- Makrades - Nikia - Kouramilia - Prokima - Makrades Round trip
- Makrades - Vistonas - Makrades Round trip
- Mount Arakli - Lakones - Alimmatades - Mount Arakli Round trip
Of course we would be pleased if you could click on "Like" for our hiking trips in the komoot app or share the hiking tours with other Corfu holiday makers ;-)
Nearest towns and villages of Paleokastritsa (Palaiokastritsa) in Corfu
- Agios Georgios Pagon (Agios Georgios Pagi), approx. 15 km away (long sandy beach and beautiful horseshoe shaped bay).
- Lakones (above the village with wonderful views as well as nice restaurants and cafes in the adjacent Bella Vista), approx. 6 km away.
- Doukades (village with beautiful traditional centre and gastronomy), approx. 5 km away.
- Corfu city (Kerkyra), approx. 23 km away (sightseeing and shopping). Between Paleokastritsa (Palaiokastritsa) and Corfu-City (Kerkyra) there is a bus service several times a day.